Friday, May 23, 2008

This Magic Moment. (?)


The singing starts at the 3 minutes, and 35 seconds mark.

Midway through American Idol's Idol Gives Back episode I stopped what I was doing [IMM'ng, bumping the hits, hittin' the drank, you know how we do] to stare at the screen. Singing, hustlin', and straight up working her crowd, was the one they call Ms. Miley Cyrus. I don't know how, but prior to this performance, I had managed to escape the Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus whirlwind, possessing a knowledge of her and said whirlwind only because a) she's a part of pop culture and I [unfortunately?] try to stay up on my shit, particularly in regards to music, and b) every now and then on many a Saturday morning, the TV in the kitchen would be tuned in to the Suite Life of Zach and Cody/That's So Raven/Hannah Montana block on ABC.

[What? I said Kitchen TV... On a Saturday morning...with no cable. Look it's paid programming, Golf, or -gasp- whatever is playing on MyNetwork TV.]

You know what though? She got me. I'm not saying I was buying what she was selling wholeheartedly, and/or rushing to iTunes to bump her single from my speakers, but I was impressed with how well she worked that stage, and gave it all she got, and wasn't too bad at it. [That Disney work ethic ain't no joke son!] It may not had been for me in particular, but I got it.


Did I just see a Louis Vuitton guitar?

These guys, not so much.

Jonas Brothers, Jonas Brothers, RA-RA-RA! Just writing that makes me nervous for I can hear the onslaught of teenage girls screaming in my ears. But this one just didn't do it for me, and this is coming from someone who used to listen to Hanson. I get it, they can sing and smile and play instruments all AT THE SAME TIME, [Again, that Disney work ethic ain't no joke] have "killer" stylists [Wonder if Patricia Fields is doing the damn thing for em?], are brothers, and, of course, handsome, but I don't know. I mean I don't know what I was expecting, or if I was expecting anything at all, but this young twentysomething Black male doesn't see what all the fuss is about [for the moment].

But then again, maybe that's the point?

No comments: