Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bore me?

Nah.


"Give it to me while it's hot!"

I didn't read any promos. I didn't get word of this performance on some blog or "Tonight on Fox" advertisement. Instead I found myself pleasantly surprised when Ryan Seacrest and co. cleared the stage and made room for Miss Fantasia. And the minute she started singing I was sure of two things:

(1) A lot of people are going to harp on this performance, and
(2) I am going to love this.

And here's why:

(1) She could have easily sung some treacly ballad or roped it all in. She didn't.
(2) That hair.
(3) That form fitting -velour?- and shimmering pants suit.
(4) The background dancers.
(5) Did she almost make her "knees touch her elbows" on the American Idol stage? Yes, yes she did.
(6) Simon's face throughout the performance.
(7) The bewildered "what should I do to this" look of the young ladies in the audience during her performance.
(8) The song ending choreography with her back up dancers. Complete with points to the Lord and exits Stage Left.
(9) For doing what the producers wanted Syesha to do with that Happy Feet song:



(10) And finally, for once again bucking the trend and giving the Idol audience less Whitney/Mariah, and more Janis/Tina/Mary J. That's what's up.

No comments: