Sunday, May 11, 2008

Old School Funk for the True Funk Soldiers!

FILE UNDER: A Moment of Clarity./This is how we do it.

See, this is why Pop Up Video needs to come back to tv. Where else could I have learned that the following song was nominated for an Oscar?



Unfortunately, it lost, but all is understood when you take a look at the mid 80's movie jams it was up against.

The nominess for Best Original Song (1984) are:

"Against All Odds"
- Music and lyrics: Phil Collins



"Footloose" – Music and lyrics: Kenny Loggins
and Dean Pitchford




"Let's Hear It for the Boy" – Music and lyrics: Tom Snow and Dean Pitchford




And, "I Just Called to Say I Love You" – Music and lyrics: Stevie Wonder


[ED.'S NOTE: I love me some Stevie Wonder, but what the fuck was up with that video?]

Can you guess the winner? I'll give you a hint. He recently wrote a nice blurb on Mariah Carey for Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People issue.

No comments: