Thursday, May 29, 2008

The artist formerly known as irrelevant.



I've always been on team Kanye, but prior to watching this video I saw him as nothing more than a new artist I could stand behind and anxiously anticipate new singles and albums from for years to come. Nothing more, nothing less. And then I watched this video a while back over at Concrete Loop, and I ain't looked at the man in the same way since.

It was with this video that I got a glimpse into Kanye West the artist, that's right, artist. One of the few musical artists [and especially rappers] in the game whose head is full of ideas, and a tendency to think outside the box and be more than just a voice with a mic. [I felt the same way during his last Jimmy Kimmel interview in which he described his crate digging tendencies in regards to vinyl shopping, and his trips to Amoeba Records in Hollywood.]

Sure he has an ego the size of Kim Kardashian's ass, and has said some outrageous things since he gained fame and notoriety, but I stand firmly behind my belief that Kanye West is a man of ideas with a curious mind that just won't quit. It's present in his style of dress, his sample choices, and the designs for his concert poster and stage production. [Not to mention the Glow in the Dark Tour line-up]

And, of course, his music videos.

As is seen here in video number three for the four minute highlight that is Flashing Lights, from his latest disc Graduation.

Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you, the Clue and Tales from The Cryptkeeper inspired video for:

"FLASHING LIGHTS."

No comments: