Thursday, March 13, 2008

Old School Funk for the True Funk Soldiers!


The beautiful ones.

I remember it like it was yesterday...

Winter 1998. Horace Mann Middle School. South Central, Los Angeles. Darryl, as a joke, bought his cousin [and my then partner in crime] Jajuane a copy of Marilyn Manson's album Mechanical Animals for X-Mas. Darryl thought it was jokes.

[I mean seriously, look at that cover. Imagine unwrapping your gift expecting The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill, Vol. 2, Hard Knock Life, Enter the Dru, or any other album all the youngins in the hood had to have at the time, and being hit with this.]

Jajuane, of course, had to get rid of this shit. So what did he do? He passed it on to his buddy with a taste for music that went beyond just hip-hop and R&B; Me.

And from that moment on, I became a full fledged Marilyn Manson fan. I mean read the autobiography, defended him in conversations, smiled with delight when he appeared in Bowling for Columbine, own purchased copies of every album since Mechanical Animals [including his latest Eat Me, Drink Me]fan.

And that is why, during my post work workout I got pumped to this song presented below Cause every now and then, I need a little Marilyn Manson in my life.

Yeah, I said it.



NEXT WEEK: my unhealthy late teenage fascination with the Gallagher bros...

Earlier...

  • This is how we do it.
  • 1 comment:

    TOPolk said...

    If I had to pick an all-time favorite Marilyn Manson song, I'd go "Coma White," but I like your style nonetheless.