Friday, March 28, 2008

Never gonna give you up?


Hoping, and wishing, and praying...

On the Racounteurs :

So on Tuesday I purchased three, count em 3 CDs, with only one of them [PATD’s Pretty.Odd.] being on sale. But it was all good cause the other two just happened to be by Gnarls Barkley and Jack White’s side project, and I just knew that all three would be worth the price of admission alone so to speak. [I was doing the whole old school New Music Tuesday buying excitement thing.] None of these three CDs grabbed me on the first spin. Panic’s lost me after Nine in the Afternoon, only to grab me again during Northen Downpour and then lost me again. Gnarls had me and then lost me in the bottom half when the middle to last tracks before Neighbors sounded like one giant track. The Rac album had me for the first two tracks with their Icky Thump like appeal, only to bore me to death and wonder what the hell happened to Jack and Brendan’s mojo. But unlike others, I decided to not give up, forcing myself to listen to all three CDs again, from start to finish, and I am happy to report that the Gnarls CD is definitely a grower and not a shower, while the Panic at the Disco CD is refreshingly retro and wonderfully ambitious. They will definitely [and hopefully] gain some newfound fans with this one. But this Consolers of the Lonely album? Sorry Mr. White. Can’t do it. And this is coming from someone who is in the “White Stripes have done no wrong and just keep coming with the banging LPs from White Blood Cells onward” camp. [Not to mention that stellar Loretta Lynn disc he put his stamp on]. Unlike disc one, Broken Boy Soldiers, this album feels weak and unispired, [and I hate to say it, but kind of boring] and those are two words you should never apply to a Jack White production. Yes, yes I know I need more time, but I don’t know if the other five or so CDs I have added to my collection as of late will permit it, cause unlike this one, many of those discs keep calling me back.

No comments: