Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Canary in a coalmine.



Clap your hands say yeah?

You know what I did today when I got home from work?

I checked my e-mail and then headed over to the Itunes music store and scanned the new Vampire Weekend album...for the first time!

It wasn't supposed to be like this.

On Tuesday I marched into my record store of choice/convenience pumped to get my hands on a few new cds, with the VW disc being one of them. Unfortunately after a few minutes of walking in circles, cruising the new release wall, the V section, the W section, and searching aimlessly for an "indie" section [hey, you never know], I hit up the teenage sales associate and asked if they had it. He, in return, sighed, looked off into the distance and said "yeah. apparently that didn't arrive on the truck this morning",[I got the vibe that he was answering this question all day] before scampering off to find a DVD or convene with the fifty million twenty-something employees chatting it up near the entrance to the store. To no one's surprise, the checkout line was long, and only two registers were open.

But I digress.

I shrugged my shoulders, walked out, and said "fuck it." I've waited this long, why not wait a couple more days right? It's not like Vampire Weekend will be out of fashion, or here today gone tomorrow by then right? I mean those who championed them in the past will still like them come tomorrow, right?...

  • IDOLATOR: The Top Four Sentences From Yesterday's Vampire Weekend Profile That Made Me Vow To Never Read A Story About Them Again


  • VULTURE [NY MAG]: What to Expect From the Upcoming Vampire Weekend Backlash


  • STEREOGUM: Vampire Weekend Is Out! Now, Counting Down To Backlash


  • STATUS AIN'T HOOD: Vampire Weekend: Hated On Mostly


  • Right!

    No comments: