Saturday, February 24, 2007

Old school funk for the true funk soldiers!

You've come a long way baby...

I was never schooled on country music. When I found the time to embrace music that wasn't hip-hop or R&B in my early teens, I ran to the Pumpkins and the Nirvanas, the Green Days and the Radioheads, not the Loretta Lynns, or the Clint Blacks. And then in 1998 this all female country trio with the catchy tunes and colorful musicmanship showed up on my radar, and I was hooked. A friend asked me what I wanted for my birthday that year and I told her straight up, the Dixie Chicks album Wide Open Spaces. Look, I want to be like the cool kids so badly and say my entry into country, bluegrass, and the like was thru the Carter Family, or Merle Haggard, but that would be a bold faced lie. I started with the Chicks and I am glad to have stuck around.



And yes, since viewing
  • Shut and Sing
  • earlier, I can't get enough of the Dixie Chicks. Whatever. It's my birthday. I do what I want.

    No comments: