Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Two steps forward, then three steps back

Late last fall on the set of Grey's Anatomy Isiah Washington dropped the F-bomb, inadvertently outing a co-star, and wound up in some sort of word rehab [whatever the hell that is] for a little while. And recently former NBA star John Amaechi came out of the closet prompting retired NBA star Tim Hardaway to say this:

"First of all I wouldn't want him on my team. Second of all, if he was on my team I would really distance myself from him because I don't think that's right and I don't think he should be in the locker room while we're in the locker room...Well, you know, I hate gay people. I let it be known, I don't like gay people. I don't like to be around gay people...Yeah, I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world, or in the United States. So, yeah, I don't like it."


Was I surprised by his words? Nope. Not at all. Did I think his comments were a little ridiculous and out of control? Yes. But let's be real [and possibly offend a number of people in the process] and realize that Tim Hardaway was just saying what a lot of brothas and possibly those who play sports were thinking in a less eloquent way. [Had he had the time to prepare a better way to say I don't know, I disagree, but I accept, the reaction might have been a little less chaotic. What we got instead was what happens when one stops being fake, and starts being real, or says the first thing that comes to mind.]

The issue of homosexuality has always been a tough one in the African American community. For many it is seen as a sign of weakness or inferiority, a crime against God, and of course, a loss of one's masculinity, second only to bringing home a white woman in terms of things your mama would rather you just not do. Fag, faggot, punk, sissy, bitch, punk ass nigga; these words are a part of many a young black [and I am sure non-black] male's lexicon. And as we all know, said words are also quite prominent in the hip-hop community, making the usage of such words, along with current thoughts, and attitudes on the topic of homosexuality in the black community all the more common.

  • CNN: VIDEO: ENTERTAINMENT: Gays not accepted in Hip-Hop
  • No comments: