Friday, February 16, 2007

[I be saying] NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

When you be saying yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

It should be no secret by now, but I don't listen to the radio. I listen to a lot of music, but I don't listen to the radio. The only time I listen to the radio is as a passenger in someone's car, when I am sans IPod or CD's aren't being spun.

When in these situations, three things occur 1) I recognize a song and sing at the top of my lungs cause that's my jam, 2)I don't know the song but listen up cause I wish I did, or 3)I don't know the song and I am glad that I don't. Worst case scenario: I don't know the song, I don't like it, those around me don't know it either, but it stays on just because OR I don't know the song, I don't like it, those around me do, and it stays on while I suffer in the passenger or backseat.

Before I go on let me just preface the rest of this by saying I don't hate reggaeton, it's just that when it blew up "big willie style" a few years back, I just happened to be a student on a small New England college campus. No matter where you went, if a social gathering was going down, the sdtrk, more often than not, included all the popular tunes of the day, meaning you were going to get some Reggaeton thrown into the mix every three or four songs. One time during senior year, my peers and I traveled to an off campus house on the water where some of our good friends resided. As is the case with many a gathering these days, a good friend of ours pulled out his iPod Nano and put it on shuffle, giving the party a little more umph. His iPod might as well been labeled the special edition Reggaeton iPod, cause after a few nostalgic Mariah Carey hits [always a crowd pleaser amongst those in my age group]and R&B hits of the day we partygoers got hit with one reggaeton song after another. [Not that this bothered anyone of course]

As I rode in my boy's car last weekend, I was reminded of the reggaeton rush that swept across my college campus when the song presented below came on. As those in front sang along, and bobbed their heads, all I could do was sit in the backseat and resist the urge to follow Pitbull's instructions or pretend like this is a song worth caring about.



Okay, so I do like the beat. And if intoxicated on a dancefloor I probably would give in to the rhythm. GODDAMN IT REGGAETON!

No comments: