Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Fix me in 45


A funny thing happened while I was busy not really caring for Fall Out Boy. [well aside from putting Dance Dance on a mixtape, and that time not too long where I stopped being a music snob and started being real and went ahead and purchased Sugar We're Going Down on Itunes.]

Last Tuesday, Fall Out Boy released a new album, and because this is Fall Out Boy we are talking about, I couldn't turn my head or click my mouse without reading or seeing something about said album. Now normally when a band I don't really care for releases an album I ignore it and go on my merry little way, especially if a band or artist I actually enjoy releases an album on the same day.[See Bloc Party: A Weekend in the City]

Much to my surprise, every turn of the page and click of the mouse revealed reviews of Infinity on High with words like it may be for the kids, but adults should listen to it also, or Patrick Stump is injecting his vocals with some soul, or [most suprising of all] critics would attach letter grades like A and A- to their reviews.

My curiousity had been piqued last Saturday night when I read a
  • Stylus Magazine
  • review of the album which also gave Infinity on High an A-. That was it. I had to hear it. I had to see if Fall Out Boy's winter 2007 album was worthy of all this My Chemical Romance Fall 2006 like praise. And guess what? It is. Sunday morning I gave it a spin start to finish and was quite surprised with how fun and entertaining the disc is. The song titles are "cute" [I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way I'm Trying To Get You Off], Patrick Stump does inject some soulful inflections into his vocal performances here and there [see The Take Over, The Break's Over. And no, this is not the song which features guest vocals from Jay-Z], and best of all, the album is just fun and highly consistent. The kid who turned off MTV everytime a damn Fall Out Boy performance or video was in rotation for the 6,000th time wants to not like this, but the kid in me who enjoys good music simply can't.

    KEY TRACKS: The Take Over, The Break's Over/I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off(Me & You)/Golden

    No comments: