Thursday, December 28, 2017

DON'T LOOK BACK IN ANGER : THE ALBUMS, 2017.



05/jay z/4:44


I was up early. Sometime before sunrise, 25 minutes or so after 4:44 AM. Lit lightly in the kitchen, standing over the sink, 4:44 playing through my headphones. "I'll be damned if I drink some Belverdere while Puff got Ciroc." A quick line to close out Family Feud, eliciting another quick laugh and a feeling of warmth. This time with a lump in my throat. For some reason I was moved by a throwaway line about supporting the homies and got caught up in the Black camaraderie and candid joy in Jay's voice. Whenever I returned to 4:44, I found solace in these candid, open moments; in this album of "SUPER FACTS!" that's so fresh and so clean, like wearing all white with no socks. He and No I.D. in the pocket with soul for days, being inspirations and stepping over those who are still in doubt or forgot what's up and what it is: 

Black excellence from a kid who used to pitch bricks and still can't be pigeonholed out here in these streets, still connecting. 

"Can I get an amen?"

KEY TRACKS: The Story of OJ/Moonlight/Marcy Me

06/amber coffman/city of no reply

07/priests/nothing feels natural

08/fever ray/plunge

09/sza/ctrl

10/ariel pink/dedicated to bobby jameson

11/miguel/war & leisure

12/ema/exile in the outer ring

13/charli xcx/number 1 angel

14/lcd soundsystem/american dream

15/lorde/melodrama

16/syd/fin


18/st. vincent/masseduction

19/cherry glazerr/apocalipstick

20/kesha/rainbow

21/vince staples/big fish theory

22/thundercat/drunk

23/kehlani/sweetsexysavage

24/palberta/bye bye berta

25/father john misty/pure comedy















No comments: