Wednesday, December 13, 2017

DON'T LOOK BACK IN ANGER : THE ALBUMS, 2017.


20/kesha/rainbow

She exited the train as Kesha’s "Praying" soothed my ears, leaving the window seat vacant and now mine. I could have returned to my reading material, but chose to, instead, glance out the window at the magenta sunset lying atop the mountains as the song reached its emotional crescendo, finding myself moved, again. Another brief pause of life to just exist and be still and be present in the moment, again, as Kesha’s Rainbow plays. And I suspect she would approve (I hope she would approve). I suspect she would approve of me getting lost in these confident and majestic hymns for the hymn-less, and fiery, silly little honky-tonk love songs and positive life affirmations, and how they resonated with me continuously throughout the fall since the album was released. That I’ve found peace in that which she did: in her artistry, and in these songs. Her serene acoustic ditties, rave ups with Eagles of Death Metal and The Dap-Kings, and love songs about Godzilla. That I found a rainbow in her happiness and her art of letting go, again, and again, and again, latching on to her strength and peace of mind, connecting through sound, and connecting through this album. Her Rainbow. An album and emotional release she needed to make for herself, and one we needed to (and are fortunate to) hear.

KEY TRACKS: Bastards/Hymn/Rainbow

21/vince staples/big fish theory

22/thundercat/drunk

23/kehlani/sweetsexysavage

24/palberta/bye bye berta

25/father john misty/pure comedy


No comments: