Thursday, July 24, 2008

"After the show..."


One Nation. Under a groove.

"It's the After Party!"

MJ's. Silverlake. Hercules and the Love Affair. The post show DJ set come down. A few thoughts:

1/Can't get crunk to disco music.

2/Wait a minute, let me finish.

3/Now if you know me, you know that I love dancing to damn near anything ["give me the bass line, and I'll shake it"], ESPECIALLY dance and/or pop music, but for some reason last night I found myself, at times, unable to catch the beat/looking like I was trying to catch the beat. [Think the Elaine dance from Seinfeld with a little more shimmy and little less wild limb action.]

4/If I do hear me some "Disco" music, it's gotta be a classic I can sing along to, meaning vocals are a plus.

5/Speaking of which, is it wrong to secretly wish for some vocals on a track? I can only take so much throbbing indie dance take on the beats on repeat in the clubs of West Hollywood.

6/Gay Males. Just as aggressive on the dance floor as straight males are with females. ESPECIALLY if you let said gay male "take the lead."

7/It's official: Bartenders at gay bars all do the same dance when a track starts and its very similar to the turn, pivet, spin move Dennis so perfectly showcased on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, when Paddy's became a happening gay bar. [and the hips. can't forget about the hips. it's all in the hips.]

8/Gay and/or Bisexual Males at any other gay bar: Dance til you sweat and then remove your shirt for extra emphasis. [cause I mean, it is protocol after all, right?] Gay and/or Bisexual Hipster Males at a gay bar: Dance til you sweat, but NEVER remove an article of clothing. F's up the look youknowhatimean? [unless it is a joke and/or you want to really show your love for the track the DJ spun into the mix. But, always remember to immediately put it back on after the fact. I actually saw two or three guys do this last night]

9/Since I didn't attend the show and I ain't up on promos, for all I know Captain and Tenille could have been up there spinning and not Herc and the Love Affair.

10/I may be wrong, but something tells me that tonight's crowd at the Dizzee Rascal show will look nothing like those boogieing with me and my peeps at the "Discotheque" last night.

Just a hunch.

No comments: