Friday, June 13, 2008

Old school funk for the true funk soldiers!


I, I feel so numb.

So I went to a big Sports Bar/Pool Hall last night to catch the second half of the Lakers game last night. [Don't even get me started on that historic disaster right now] It was all shouting and screaming with hot wings and pitchers of Fat Tire. As we all know, the game eventually came to a tragic end, leading a large majority of the crowd to file out with a quickness, as if they were roaches and someone turned on the lights. With the game over and the crowd dwindling, all of the flat screens had their volumes lowered so that those remained could talk amongst themselves, shoot some pool, and -for better or for worse- rule the jukebox FOR THE ENTIRE CROWD. And on this night, somebody was nostalgic for "Modern Rock" circa 1998-2002; Either that, or someone found a Now CD from that period and pressed play for the club. At one point in the evening, I stopped myself pre shot at the billiards table when one song in particular came on, wondering aloud, "oh my God is this Linkin Park? Like Hybrid Theory Linkin Park?" Yes, yes it was. And the crowd was loving it, singing along, fist pumping, the whole nine. [Surprise, surprise] Me, not so much. BUT I ain't gon' lie, I totally sang along and got down at my Billiards table when this track presented below came on. And believe me when I say I ain't pressed play on this one [or anything from this band]in a minute.



P.S. Imma go ahead and blame this track [despite how much I like it] for the often misguided post 2000 trend of pairing a Modern Rock act with a Hip-Hop act and hoping for a crossover hit.

No comments: