Monday, October 20, 2008

*The Lady - The Bear - The World*

FILE UNDER: Church/Church: The Saga Continues/A Moment of Clarity/One Pure Thought/A Quick Peep/Sign 'O' the Times.

From our office's inbox to your computer screen, I present to you *The Lady- The Bear- The World* courtesy of the Christian Weekly Devotion.

Scripture: Ezekiel 44:12b
“Therefore I have sworn with uplifted hand that they must bear the consequences of their sin, declares the Sovereign LORD”

You may have read in the newspaper about the lady from Australia who was visiting the zoo in Anchorage, Alaska. She wanted to get a close up photo of the polar bear --- she jumped over two security fences and was preparing to take the photo --- when the polar bear reached between the cage bars and grabbed her.

The bear then pulled her tight against the cage and sunk its teeth into her thigh. The zoo keepers came to her rescue and pulled on the lady and hit the bear with sticks. People watching in the crowd began screaming and yelling at the zoo keepers to get a tranquilizing gun to put the big bear asleep.

The thing is if they did get a tranquilizing gun it would have taken 20 minutes to load the gun and then another 15 minutes for it to take effect. They did not have that much time because there is a main artery in her thigh which if punctured would have caused death in less than 20 minutes.

After what seemed like hours to the lady, but had really only been ten minutes --- the bear opened its mouth at the encouragement of the zoo keepers. The lady was rushed to the hospital and it was determined that the main artery was missed by a mere 3 centimeters by the bears bite. The lady lives still today but she has a slight limp.

The bear represents all the things Satan entices us with in the world. The lady represents us when worldly desires trump our Christian values. The barriers represent the whisperings of the Holy Spirit to direct our path out of danger.

Often in my walk with the Lord the world entices me to do things that are contrary to my Christian values. It is my responsibility to steer clear of these enticements when the Holy Spirit places barriers in my path.

When I determine to disregard the barriers of the Holy Spirit to prevent me from the enticements of this world you can bet it is a trap from Satan.

Just like the woman who was attacked by the bear after jumping the zoo barriers --- when I am enticed by Satan to do worldly things and fall into his trap there are consequences.

The lady jumped the barricades and now lives but her consequence is a limp.

When I jump my Christian barricades and then repent I am forgiven but there is usually a consequence for the sin the remains.

Prayer: Father help me stay within the barriers that the Holy Spirit has for me and avoid the consequences of sin. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen!


Earlier...

  • Church.


  • Church: The Saga Continues.
  • No comments: