Friday, October 31, 2008

Play that beat!

Believe me, I adore playing an old school hit like nobody's business, but sometimes there's nothing better than putting on one of your favorite long players, and enjoying it for what it is: a tip-top, start to finish "headphone masterpiece".



I Have a friend. His name is Justin. He, like me, still purchases music, compact discs if you will. And riding in a car with Justin is exciting, for he, like me, likes the sound. Who needs the radio when Justin's on the dial. One hand on the wheel, another in a case. Here this, play that, what's this? Like that? And more times than not, I did. During the Summer of 2007 often found in the door's pocket on the side, was Pink's I'm Not Dead. Disc often played, booklet often flipped. Pick-Up, drop-off, Pink's on the dial.

Now I've been a Pink fan since Fairfax High. Me and my homie bumping this "bomb ass white" chick. [What? It was the year 2000!] And I stuck around for Missundzatood, eating that shit up, wearing that disc out. [CD-R copy still spinnin'] Baby girl pretty much had me at hello. But after Missundaztood, Pink albums weren't events for me anymore, and I went into each of them with a little trepidation.

Eventually I'd come around and appreciate bits of Try This, and wear out my copy of I'm Not Dead.

To which I reply: No, Pink you are not.

Like I said, I slept on Pink, and smiled coyly at this disc's title, before eventually settling in with the grooves, appreciating the emotion, and smiling at the winks and the nods, as I did in those smooth summer rides in Justin's car. I don't know why I expected anything different. The thrill was never gone and as in cases past, it announced itself unabashedly, mocking Stupid Girls over a "stupid girl pop star" beat; the bare yearning for a love lost that is Who Knew; the fuck-off kiss off of the two-step rocker U + U Hand; right on down to the sheer honesty present in the delicate questions and harmonies she shares with the Indigo Girls in Dear Mr. President. Pink is just being Pink. Silly of me to ever think that that would cease to be.
KEY TRACKS: Who Knew/U + Ur Hand/Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)

Singles:


Stupid Girls.




Who Knew?



U + Ur Hand.


No comments: