Saturday, October 05, 2013

FRESH.

I don't own many pairs of sweatpants.

And yeah, I got a pair of basketball shorts (somehow), but they only come out for the weights.

Do I lounge?

Oh yes, for sure.

And in these cases, I'm DRESSED.

Not, DRESSED DRESSED, but, you know, clothed, in a fit.

"I get it from my Momma", they say. And in this case, I do.

My Bigmama, to be exact.

A grandmother.

You did not (and will not) step outside the house in that durag.

You did not (and will not) step outside the house in that "wife beater."

(you better go find you a shirt)

You did not (and will not) step outside the house in those pajamas.

(if you don't go back there and find you some clothes to put on)

Get. Dressed.

Now, part of this, of course, was Parenting 101. But it was also, Parenting 101, starring an african american grandmother from the south re-raising these kids in this (southern california location) area, in today's america, so part of this was also about image and presentation.

Black babies.

Her black babies.

Babies ready to be evaluated, scrutinized, examined, tested, and any and everything else simply because they are Black babies, each and everytime they interact with the world, in manners both subtle and large.

So you will (and we did) get dressed. You can do you, and be you, and speak you, and give off you cause that can't and shouldn't be changed...

But you won't look like a fool.

Not today.

Not on my watch.

You will get dressed.

It's not about being fashionable with each and every entrance into the world (though it is welcomed and often encouraged), it's about being presentable and looking put together. LIKE YOU HAVE YOUR SHIT TOGETHER (even if you don't).

And like you care.

That's the reason why I don't own much lounge wear.

I gets dressed.

I thought about all this last night during Bill Maher's closing remarks on Real Time, and saw a little of what Bigmama was getting at.

Though it shouldn't play such a large role in our decision making processes, image often IS everything.

Shaping perceptions, forming opinions, and signing off on unwarranted and unfortunate streams of thoughts.

But it can also boost morale, install confidence, and bring about the right kind of attention, along with a healthy bit of mystery and fascination.

Now, this is not an endorsement for being forever "on", nor is it a push to place ALL OF THE EMPHASIS on presentation and how we look/doing it way big/dressing to the nines.

I'm just saying, care a little more. I know times is hard, and the world can be such a drag (especially right now, at this given moment and wrinkle in time in these here United States) but,

Get dressed America.

And get back to at least looking like you care, and, you know,

"give a shit."





No comments: