Thursday, May 21, 2009

Last Call.

Originally written (but never "published") on Thursday May 7th, 2009.

American Idol, man. It’s like a vortex. I’m not even following it religiously this year, and yet I am. Adam, Danny, Kris. America, this is your Top 3! Why do I know this? Oh wait, I know why. You see, American Idol is like that great old friend of yours you ain’t see in a while; you’ve had some good times, you love the kid, and you miss the kid, but circumstances keep you apart. In this instance, in this year, for me, it’s been a lack of bona-fide star power, that complete full package of charisma, presence, talent, and humility (whoa didn’t expect to see that one at the end, huh?) that comes naturally and just radiates through the screen, that has kept me away from the festivities. Yeah Adam can sing. Yeah America is always willing to give a John Mayer/Jack Johnson/Jason Mraz/Kris Allen a try. And a capable dude who often sounds like the second coming of the Soul Patrol? Oh hell yes! Except, Oh! Hell! No!

Thinking like Simon and wanting some more, I took a shining to the 17 year old raven-haired rock and roll like stylings of the one they call Allison. Weaving in out of the show between my appointment television commercial breaks, I’d often tune in just in time to catch Allison light up the stage, and think to myself, “okay, somebody’s getting it right.” Despite my attention being focused elsewhere this season, I still kept tabs on Allison post show on blogs, websites, and in the papers. (And, okay, Adam. I mean, come on, how can’t you? It’s a little bit of “damn, wonder what’s he gonna tackle tonight?” and “damn, I wonder what he’s gonna DO tonight?” Get the difference?) And on air when I could, as was the case last night, when I caught Allison’s farewell package and performance during a Lakers vs. Rockets commercial break. Listen and look carefully. This, for me, is performing. This, for me, is emoting. This, for me, seemed so genuine. This, for me, seems ready for primetime. The walk into the crowd, the easy going mid-performance rapport with the judges, and just. Plain. Singing. She had me at hello. Hell, she had us all at hello. (One of my favorite parts of the performance had to be seeing Simon in the mid-darkness at the judge’s tables. His face and body language pretty much said “Okay Allison, I see you. You got it!”, and echoed the sentiments I am trying so hard to put forth here).

I held on to the end. I was entertained. I was moved.

And I couldn’t have asked for anything more.*



*Okay, WRONG! Allison staying on board would have been awesome. DAMN YOU AMERICAN IDOL!

No comments: