Saturday, July 20, 2013

A Moment of Clarity.

WORDS.

"What is so significant is that the president spoke up for Trayvon. After a trial that seemed to put Trayvon on trial for his own death and a verdict that freed people to smear all young black men for the actions of a few, Obama’s nearly 20-minute oration restored Trayvon’s dignity.

...I was in the briefing room when the president said these words, and I will admit to a welling of the eyes. One of the reasons President Bill Clinton is so popular among blacks is because he spoke to them and about them in ways that were knowing. To have a president who looks like me and has lived the same experience I have and to say so before the nation was as overwhelming as it was historic.

But Obama wasn’t just talking to me or fellow African Americans. He was talking to all Americans..."

THE WASHINGTON POST: President Obama speaks up for Trayvon Martin

EARLIER: 

this.

No comments: