Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Starship Trooper.


Words.

"I think the Grammy voters made a great call...On my flight home this afternoon, I scrolled through the site. I read pages and pages of people shouting in all caps "I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THEM!" as if that's a valid musical critique, as if that's anything but a braying declaration of proud ignorance. As if somehow the prefab pop royalty whose handlers dropped the most money on promotion are promised a Grammy as a kind of birthright, the way that Will Smith's kids are guaranteed hit singles and blockbusters if they want them; the way that Gwyneth Paltrow is apparently allowed to show up anywhere at any time and sing, whether or not we want to hear her. I've never heard Esperaza Spalding either, but now I'm excited to. It was fun to watch the losers win for a change."

  • BILLBOARD: 'Who The Hell Is That?' Will Sheff Of Okkervil River's Grammy Diary
  • No comments: