Tuesday, April 13, 2010

This is how we do it.

Yes it is Incubus. You don't even know...

Now if you visit this blog often, you know that old school jams are more often than not posted under the "Old School Funk for the True Funk Soldiers" headline. But sometimes old school joints are so good, so well put together, so classic to a brotha, [see Montell Jordan's This is how we do it] that all I can do is marvel at their goodness as they boldly play on and show us how's it done. This jam, presented below, is one such example.


A long, long, time ago, you didn't have to have cable to catch a video. All you had to do was stay up late on a Friday or Saturday night and NBC/FOX/KDOC, or maybe even KCAL 9 (what it do Los Angelinos!) would have a late night music video show for the stoners, the loners, the burnouts, and teens like me not yet of age with a simple kind of life and no plans. One such Saturday my siblings and I were up late in our room refusing to close our eyes, flipping through channels post Showtime at the Apollo, desperate to be entertained. Finally we landed on something. Much to their dismay, it was a rock block. But then this one song came on. By this band. It was hard. It was fast. It was loud. But it wasn't menacing, DEMANDED we pay attention to it and at that present moment, was quite fresh. Who is this band? Wait it out. Wait it out. What is this song? Wait it out. Wait it out. -See this is the old days (aka The 90's) where you ALWAYS got the artist name/song title/music video director/AND record company credits at the end of the video.- Wait it out. Wait it out. Wait it out. The End. Incubus. Pardon Me. Okay. We see you Incubus. And from that moment forward I was sold. I ran out and copped the album from which Pardon Me was spawned, Make Yourself, with a quickness, and quickly fell in love with the band's kinetic energy, over abundance of talent, and, or course, lead singer Brandon Boyd's voice, a voice that took many an Incubus song to new heights, a voice that I often tried to go to toe to toe with, as I often do with my favorite artists, singing along, along for the ride, getting lost in the sound...as I plan to do sometime today, when I press play on this classic from my favorite songs of all time list, stuck in my head, holding my attention, like that first time I came across this band that late Saturday night way back when...in 1999.

Incubus.

Drive.

No comments: