Sunday, December 08, 2019

CUZ I LOVE YOU (!) ... : THE ALBUMS, 2019.


25/BECK/HYPERSPACE

It had been a minute since I checked in with my homeboy Beck Hansen. His music and I go back like babies and pacifiers, so checking in on a new release from him is always a given. When he bounced back two years ago with Colors, I pressed play, was not satisfied, and moved on. Skip ahead two years, and here he stands again before us, experiencing another sea change (divorce), working it out through the music, hoping we’d hear him out. So I did. I joined him in the stratosphere. I appreciated what felt like a return to form: a little bit of Odelay, sprinkled with some Guero, with a dash of The Information on top. I welcomed Pharrell’s presence on a majority of the tracks. I waded in the water that is his sadness, presented in acoustic technicolor, again. And again. And again. On Hyperspace, Beck checks in from the uneventful days in the everlasting nothing to let us know he’s alright, and that his slightly offbeat, funky sensibilities are still intact.

KEY TRACKS:

SAW LIGHTNING



DARK PLACES





EVERLASTING NOTHING


No comments: