Monday, June 25, 2007

Play that beat!

Believe me, I adore playing an old school hit like nobody's business, but sometimes there's nothing better than putting on one of your favorite long players, enjoying it for what it is: a tip-top, start to finish "headphone masterpiece".



Will you love me if I'm a mess?...

If you asked me right now how this record managed to weasel its way into my record collection, I couldn't give you a clear answer, cause I don't remember. But I will say this: in August of 2003, I was ready to return to my college campus and shout how in love I was with this gem of a record produced by that guy who used to star in Blue's Clues, with a little help from Steven Drozd and Michael Ivins of the Flaming Lips. Til this day I have yet to meet many people who I can hold a discussion with regarding this album. It's almost as if it came and went, and that's a shame, for this is an album filled with 45 minutes of heart tugging lullabies to paralyze. [in a completely good way of course] Right out of the gate, Burns' lets it be known that he is a 'mighty little man', singing clearly, rising above the "sudden crash" and "sonic booms" of the wall of sound he surrounds himself with. This track sets a precedent for what is to come for the rest of the album. The songs rise and fall, swell, and swoon, alloting equal amounts of time and space for the Soft Bulletin like inflections peppered throughout courtesy of Drozd and Ivins, and the evocative, soft croon of Burns himself, which in turn aids in highlighting his tales of simplicity, unrequited love, and songs for dustmites. Shame we have yet to hear anything else from him since.

KEY TRACKS: Mighty Little Man/A Song for Dustmites/A Reason

No comments: