Monday, November 12, 2007

Up on the roof!

I came in late to this whole inside, below the radar, "indie rock" thang. To be completely honest, me and "inside/below the radar/indie rock/not playing on Kiss FM, Power 106, or 92.3 Beat" music don't really go back that far. As cliche as it may sound, I expanded my palette and opened these ears to music "bubbling from the underground" [aight that's enough of that] til college...in 2002...or 2003. And since graduation[...in 2006] I've tried my best, but please forgive me if I've succumbed to what's popular, trendy, and charting, and/or been in heavy rotation for me before the brief stint as a young, twentysomething assistant music director at a college radio station in a small New England town.

Plus it's just hard yo, knowhati'msayin (?), keeping up with the Johsons, and the CMJs, and the Filter Mag e-mails, and the Oink's, and the Pitchfork's, and the blogs [tee hee], and the remixes, and all the other notes from the underground. [my bad] Maybe that's why the last few tracks I played were from Mya, Chris Brown, Kanye West, and now the Flaming Lips. It's just easier for me you know.

But I still try.

And that's why I don't and [won't] let everything just fall through the cracks or pass me by. Take this for example.

Vampire Weekend.

Mansard Roof.



  • Spotted over at the Gum.
  • No comments: