Friday, August 17, 2007

Crenshaw stand up!



Sometimes you don't need to go see a movie or hit up a club. Some nights you just wanna chill with the homies and watch Martin on DVD and share a few drinks. Or sometimes you are content with spending a Friday night indoors, pressing play on some Tivo'd television. A few weeks back a friend and I did just that, and one show he had taped that I just had to see with my own eyes was BET's answer to MTV's Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County, Baldwin Hills.

Yeah...

Here's the thing. The show ain't awful, but it ain't arresting Emmy award winning television either. And I'm assuming that the people who brought you Laguna Beach, must have had a hand in bringing you Baldwin Hills, cause the only difference* between these two shows is that one is taped near the water and one has a cast full of black kids. Sure, the antics and dialogue on BH isn't as cringe worthy as some of the antics and dialogue on LB, but rest assured Baldwin Hills will do nothing to stop the ever present popularity of the term "oreo" amongst the youngfolk in black communities.

*[Okay so I forgot to mention the female character from the Jungles. (if you are from L.A. I am sure you are familiar with the housing complex commonly referred to as the Jungles) I am pretty sure that Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County never really had a "Ryan Atwood" type character that lived outside the wealthy bubble. So I guess BET gets a leg up for that one.]

Needless to say I wouldn't turn this off if it was on. [I hate to say it, but that's just how me and a lot of reality television gets down] But if you want a in-depth well thought out look at the area known as Baldwin Hills, California, you are better off peeping this:

  • LAIST: The Neighborhood Project: Baldwin Hills
  • No comments: